Hiring employees is time-consuming and expensive. Numerous studies reveal that offering teleworking options is an effective way to attract and retain good employees. If properly implemented, flexible working arrangements provide:
- Increased employee retention and reduced recruitment and training costs
- Increased employee satisfaction
- Increased productivity and morale
- Reduced absenteeism
- Reduced facility overhead and maintenance and lower demand for parking spaces
- Business Continuity during inclement weather, traffic accidents, etc.
- A contribution to organization’s sustainability goals
You do not have to telework full-time to reap the benefits. Employees may benefit even with occasionally teleworking because it:
- Allows flexibility for completing work and personal responsibilities
- Reduces stress caused from commuting and office distractions
- Increases job satisfaction and morale
- Reduces commuting expense
This Telework Calculator can help workers understand how teleworking might save them money and reduce their carbon footprint.
Teleworking can also have other indirect benefits for your company. Besides allowing your employees to feel trusted and maintain a good work-life balance, by eliminating the commute, the entire community benefits from:
- Reduced traffic congestion
- Improved air quality
- Reduced wear and tear of road infrastructure and decreased need for new construction
- Decreased fuel consumption
So whether your company is interested in creating a completely remote workforce, allowing just a few employees to telework one or two days a week, or you just want to create a back-up plan for hurricanes, snow or flu season, use these tools and resources to help you select the right staff and policies and get started.